Take the JRuby Challenge: Deploy Your Rails Application with JRuby and Taste the Difference
Location: Saal Maritim A
JRuby is finally becoming a popular and practical platform for Rails. Come and learn about what it takes to get an application running with
JRuby, and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised!
During the tutorial, we’ll cover the gamut of topics related to running Rails on JRuby, including:
- Comparisons between MatzRuby and JRuby, and benefits of using JRuby
- Configuration of database connectivity using ActiveRecord-JDBC with pooled or non-pooled connections
- Packaging the application for deployment using Warbler
- Comparing deployment models: Mongrel vs. the Glassfish application server vs. the standalone Glassfish gem
- Post deployment: tuning, logging, debugging, and profiling the application
Bring a Rails application of your own and be prepared for a hands-on working session where we’ll help you work through any questions or issues you might have when porting to JRuby.
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Nick Sieger is a staff engineer at Sun Microsystems where he has been working on a team building a large JRuby on Rails application. He is a member of the JRuby core team, and is viewed as an expert in Rails deployment in a Java environment. He has been programming Ruby for three years, and Java for seven. He created and co-maintains the JDBC adapter for ActiveRecord that JRuby on Rails uses for database connectivity. He maintains a blog on Ruby and JRuby-related topics at http://blog.nicksieger.com/.